Which appliance is best to use to prepare fruit and vegetable juices: extractor or centrifuge?
Let’s take a look at the pros and cons of extractors and centrifuges. Centrifuges and juice extractors are small electrical appliances that are used to prepare fresh and natural fruit and vegetable juices.
Through these devices it is possible to obtain fruit juices from almost all varieties of fruit and vegetables, allowing the consumption of raw vegetables that are usually consumed only cooked, as in the case of broccoli.
There are substantial differences between centrifuges and extractors to be evaluated, depending on your needs.
Advantages and disadvantages of the centrifuge
- The centrifuges use the centrifugal force with precision and, by means of high-speed rotations, are able to remove the fruit or vegetable juice from the pulp.
- The centrifuge is an electrical appliance that does not take up much space and is composed of a motor, a steel component that includes very small blades arranged in a circle and a very tight mesh filter in the middle. The machine then has other plastic components including a container to collect the waste pulp.
- Fruits and vegetables are placed in an opening after coarsely cutting them, without having to peel them (except citrus fruits). By operating on the machine and pushing the fruit and vegetables towards the blades and the filter, the juice and the waste pulp are obtained.
- In a few minutes, thanks to the centrifuge, you can prepare raw fruit and vegetable juices. The juice must be consumed on the spot and immediately after it is advisable to disassemble and wash the machine. Waste pulp is a good source of fiber and can be reused by adding it to cakes and cookies.
- The centrifuges are readily available for sale in appliance stores and are often low-priced.
Advantages and disadvantages of the extractor
- The extractor is a household appliance similar in size to the centrifuge but unlike the centrifuge it allows you to obtain fruit and vegetable juices by grinding them with movements similar to chewing. The pulp and juice are divided thanks to a rotating screw made of hard plastic; this auger is placed inside a narrow mesh filter; pulp and juice are expelled separately from the extractor, as happens with the centrifuge.
- Compared to centrifuge, juice extractors run at lower speeds, are quieter and are capable of extracting large quantities of juice while producing less waste.
- In addition to being more efficient than a centrifuge, one of the main advantages of the extractor is that it can also extract juice from leafy vegetables, such as spinach, aromatic herbs, wheat grass. Furthermore, cleaning the extractor is easier and faster than that of the centrifuge.
- Many claim that juices from juicers are richer in vitamins and enzymes than juices obtained with the centrifuge.
- The drawback of the extractors is undoubtedly the price, being more expensive than the centrifuge.
- Furthermore, another “drawback” is the fact that, as previously mentioned, the extractors take longer than the centrifuges to extract the juice. A centrifuge lasts about 2 minutes, compared to 5/10 minutes for an extractor.
In conclusion, the extractor allows you to obtain better quality juices but has a much higher price than the centrifuge. Given the lower fiber waste of the extractor compared to the centrifuge, however, it is possible to save in the long term if used frequently; if you plan to use the appliance often, it may therefore be convenient to choose an extractor, perhaps choosing one of the cheaper ones, whose price does not differ much from that of a centrifuge.
If you want to learn more click here to read the ranking of the best centrifuges
Thanks for reading the whole article. If you found it useful, share it on your social networks and let me know your opinion in the comments because your opinion is really important to me.
manuelcaserotti.com is supported by its audience. When you shop via links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Does this site help you save time or money? Thanks with a small donation and if you want to have reasons why you should donate, I invite you to read here.