Blast through curves and straights, with the wind in your face. The adrenaline of speed and a unique feeling of freedom, while maintaining a link with the outside world, through a motorcycle intercom.
Traveling on two wheels is all this and much more, including the ability to move with the essentials, with an eye to one’s own safety and that of others.
The latest generations of Intercoms have exactly the goal of making the combination of “driving and communication with the outside world” as safe as possible.
What are the Intercoms?
These are technological tools that allow the rider to communicate freely (in transmission or reception) with the passenger and possibly with the riders of other motorcycles using an intercom compatible with his own.
The latest technologies allow the use of additional services, such as connection (via Bluetooth system) to the smartphone for sending, rejecting and accepting calls, connection to the navigator and the radio.
Why buy the intercom?
Because during particularly long journeys and in general when the motorcycle is used daily, it can be useful to maintain communication with the outside world.
Secure communication. In this sense, the intercoms for motorcycles are designed to improve the quality of life of motorcyclists, allowing them to travel more comfortably and with greater attention to the danger of having to be distracted to shout an indication, an information for the passenger.
Not to be underestimated, is the possibility of connecting it to the navigator of the smartphone, avoiding distractions related to the attempt to read the directions along the route.
How to choose the intercom
An intercom should be light and comfortable in terms of key usability. It must have a good battery life, able to last up to 7/8 hours in case of frequent use.
It is important to check at the time of purchase:
1) check the compatibility with the helmet,
2) check how many intercoms can be connected,
3) check the possibility of use while charging,
4) Ensure charging times,
5) note the distance up to which the signal is available (generally a maximum of 1 km and 200 m),
6) check the maximum speed within which the sound is guaranteed (generally 120 km / h),
7) Ensure resistance to atmospheric agents,
8) Read the reviews.
How intercom works
There are 3 types:
1) Acoustics, i.e. those that allow you to speak through a simple cable / tube that connects the two helmets (rider / passenger). The voice passes through this tube, without exploiting any type of technology and without the possibility of modulating the volume through the keys.
Cons: the voice quality in this intercom could be penalized by wind and external noise. This type of intercom limits the freedom of movement of both the rider and the passenger. It is not possible to communicate with other bikes.
Pros: cheap and without power.
2) Wired or wired: these are intercoms connected to a control unit located on the motorcycle. The connection between the control unit and the helmet, in which the intercom is positioned, takes place via one or two wires. This instrumentation is equipped with volume keys.
The defects are: 1) being tied by the wire, 2) the need to pay attention to the risk of cable breakage, 3) not being able to communicate with other bikes. They are powered directly by the motorcycle, so there is no risk of battery depletion. When the motorcycle is turned off, the intercoms are also disabled.
3) Bluethooth, or the evolution of the intercom via cable and therefore the latest generation of data transmitters through a wireless network. Through this instrumentation it is possible to communicate with the passenger and other motorcycles, even by teleconference.
These intercoms have a rechargeable battery via cable that can last even just one day, in case of sporadic use. They can be connected to the phone to send, reject or accept calls. You can listen to music and receive directions from the navigator, through a GPS system.
At the time of purchase it is advisable to check the signal reception range, to understand at what distance it is possible to maintain “contact” with other bikes. This type of intercom is among the most purchased also because it allows greater freedom of movement, in addition to the numerous functions.
How can I mount an intercom?
Regardless of the type, the intercom is mounted on the helmet, also affecting the weight. The sound quality will be better in intercoms applied under the chin guard, compared to those with external microphone.
At the time of purchase, depending on the type chosen, must be installed: the joint, the microphone and any control unit.
What functions does it guarantee?
It depends on the model and technology.
The best intercoms have:
1) Send / Receive / Reject button;
2) GPS system for connection to maps and position;
3) reception and sharing of music even with the passenger.
Some types have a system that guarantees a clear voice, by cleaning outside noises (wind, traffic, etc.).
Is it dangerous to receive / send calls or instructions from the navigator?
The goal of purchasing a motorcycle intercom is to be able to communicate or listen to directions, in full compliance with the Highway Code, without endangering one’s life and that of others. Using an intercom means communicating intelligently, without causing distractions.
What is the cost?
On the market you can find intercoms of the Chinese invoice from 15 euros, up to the top of the range that cost several hundred euros.
The choice of the intercom depends on many factors: frequency of use of the motorcycle, budget and needs.
If the motorcycle is used daily, the best solution is to buy a quality product, the cost of which will be amortized over time, giving you peace of mind in driving the vehicle with greater safety.
Safety means avoiding cell phones stuck in the helmet as still seen on the streets of the city or communicating with gestures, risking distractions.
If you are convinced you want to buy one you can see the ranking of the best Intercoms.
Thanks for reading the whole article. If you found it useful, share it on your social networks and let me know your opinion in the comments because your opinion is really important to me.
manuelcaserotti.com is supported by its audience. When you shop via links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Does this site help you save time or money? Thanks with a small donation and if you want to have reasons why you should donate, I invite you to read here.